I mentioned I went to Boston this past weekend, but what I didn’t tell you a bout was the marvelous meal we made for dinner on the fourth.
Here’s a quick shot of the whole meal: Grilled corn with lime and cotija cheese, seared scallops on a bed of arugula & spinach, bruschetta with fresh mozzarella & a lovely shaved zuchini and fresh pea salad.
I’ll share all the recipes at a later date but for now let’s talk zucchini.
It was super tasty and light, a great summer salad my friends!
Shaved Zucchini Salad
- 4 zucchinis
- 1 cup fresh peas, shucked
- 3 tablespoons tasty olive oil
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- handful of shaved parm or similar hard cheese
- salt & pepper
- Using a Mandolin or a simple vegetable peeler, peel the zucchini into ribbons. Use as much of the zucchini as possible, lets not waste these beauties!
- Sprinkle the zucchini with salt and let some of the excess water drain off, you can do this in a colander or on a rack, when you are ready to use the zucchini, just pat it off
- Put a small pot of water on the stove, bring to a boil…make sure to put gobs of salt in the water. trust me, all the vegetables need to be cooked with quite a bit of salt-go ahead and taste the water, it should be almost as salty as sea water
- shuck the peas, and blanch them in the pot
- remove the peas to an ice bath so they stop cooking
- combine all ingredients, taste-if you need more of something go with your gut and add more olive oil/nuts/cheese/maybe some balsamic on top…go ahead, I trust you
- garnish with some fresh cracked black pepper, a few peas & some extra parm on top